11 August, 2009

Spectacular State of Mind, Part One

10 August 2009
Well, it’s been another interesting day. I’m currently sitting on Amtrak’s train 6, the eastbound California Zephyr, somewhere between Denver and Fort Morgan, CO. I got on this morning at Grand Junction. It’s been an interesting two days, since I got onto my bus in Albuquerque, New Mexico after 7 a.m. Sunday morning.
As I posted before, I stayed out fairly late on Saturday night to go salsa dancing with a friend of mine who is living in Albuquerque. I got back to my hotel with just enough time, basically, to pack and get dressed. So I did finally get everything together and called a cab. (My original plan had been to catch the city bus, but I’d forgotten that the schedule starts later on Sundays.) Imagine my annoyance when the first city bus passed me – and my taxi still wasn’t there!
So I finally got to the bus station a little less than ½ hour before we were scheduled to depart. What happened? You know it; the bus didn’t leave until after 7:45 a.m. This of course, did little to impede my enjoyment of the day. Hey, sue me; I’m on vacation. I’m having a hard time being sure what day it is.
I was able to take some of the most spectacular photos of my entire trip on this bus ride, and I’m pretty sure I snapped as many as 3000 yesterday alone. I haven’t had a chance to wade through them all as yet – will likely do that tomorrow – but I recommend to anyone who wants to see some dramatic mountain pass scenery to try the US 550 stretch from Montrose, CO to Aztec, NM. Less confident drives should take the bus; this is not a drive for the faint of heart, and all of the passes top out at over 10,000 feet. All around are the San Juan and Uncompaghre Mountains, some of the most strikingly beautiful in Colorado. The few towns – Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Ridgeway – are strung out along the highway like jewels.
This is the same route I rode out to ABQ on last Tuesday, with the same driver, and the people were as interesting as the last trip. (Maybe I’m turning into a people-watcher; I’ve a separate entry called “The People u meet each day” because I’ve met so many interesting people.) What made today’s trip more visually stimulating is partially the weather, which was fantastically clear, and partially the fact that I had a better seat. Either way, it never seemed to matter that I was getting into Grand Junction late.
And thereby hangs a tale, as the old people would say.
…… continued in Part Two.

2 comments:

  1. okay, for some reason blogger doesnt like me here. I have posted to this blog numerous times, and 1/2 the time they don't come out.
    Thanks for the info on the drive. Would definitely have to make hubby drive it - I couldn't and the bus would most likely freak me out as bad as if I was driving :).
    Can't wait for part two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blogger thing is freaky. I wonder if it influences the comments if I change the blog? I hope that's not it....

    Oh DEFINITELY let hubby drive. OTOH, the bus driver, George??? drives that way 4 of the 7 days every week. He's prolly more familiar with that drive than anybody.

    ReplyDelete