12 August, 2009

Transition Station

12 August, 2009

It is about 4:10 p.m. and I am sitting in Washington's Union Station. I'm sitting in the Corner Bakery with a friend from Colombia.





We are waiting for our train to Florida.


Now I know you think I should be outside looking at the White House and the Capitol and the Mall and the Lincoln Memorial. But I have all this luggage I would have to drag behind me! Besides, there's no internet out there.


I did sleep on the train last night. I think it was because the car I was sitting in was so COLD. I think it was colder in that car than it was in any other location I've been in this summer, and this includes all the parts of the Rocky Mountains I've visited. Lucky for us we were able to convince the train attendant to turn the temperature up a bit; otherwise we would have come off the train looking like walking icicles. We were all there with jacket, blanket, and little hats, trying to stay warm.


I slept through all but three of the stops on the train: Martinsburg, Harper's Ferry, and Rockville. Rockville was interesting because the conductor announced the stop and told all the people who were getting off there to get off, then let the train pull off without opening any of the doors! So they all had to go all the way to DC then go back. Good thing Rockville is only 20 minutes ride from DC, and that this guy didn't do that say, between Denver and Glenwood Springs, which is a 6 hour ride…..


After I got off, I went downstairs with a couple of the other people who had been on my train to look for some food. I had some excellent sushi from the place I ate at before, the Kabuki Sushi. I even ordered some extra cucumber rolls. If u are ever in the Union Place Mall, and if u like Japanese food, these guys do a good job, and the rolls are made fresh to order. My big "sin" for the day was the cream-filled cannoli I bought down at the Sweet Treats stall. It is really too much for one person to eat in one sitting. I have been nibbling on it all afternoon. At the Corner Bakery I couldn't resist the cream cheese brownie, which will just have to go with coffee tomorrow morning. I have to walk a great deal for the next two days to keep off all that weight I walked off in the mountains…. LOL


In a little while I will prolly go in the B. Dalton right over there.
I don't NEED to buy a new book for tomorrow's ride, but when has NOT needing a book been a deterrent to actually buying one? J








This is the last night of the trip for me. Tomorrow night I will be in South Florida again. Hopefully I can use some of the time tomorrow to catch up on some of the "missing" blog entries and maybe even start to figure out my pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment